I adore refreshing, satisfying superfoods, and San Diego’s cuisine is full of them! I’ve fallen in love with the delicious flavors of Cali–so much so that I’ve begun developing my own recipes based on California staples like avocado and fresh seafood. For today’s first-ever “Yummy Cravings” post, I share a recipe that’s the perfect appetizer on a warm, sunny day. I usually make it for Antonio and me, but it went over famously at a recent cook-out with our friends, and can easily be scaled up for a crowd. In fact, it looks super cute if you make at least 6 servings, because you can arrange it like a flower on the plate!
My crabmeat avocado recipe combines the superfood avocado, which is loaded with healthy oils and the antioxidants lycopene and beta-carotene, with crabmeat, a low-mercury seafood rich in omega-3 fatty acids and vitamins A, B, and C. You and your growing baby will love this recipe, since it’s tasty as well as nutritious. Bon appetit!
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 1 avocado
- 4 oz fresh lump crabmeat
- 2 large mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp red onions or green onions, diced
- Juice of 1 lime, divided
- Dash of sea salt, pepper, and paprika
How to Make:
- Slice avocado in half. Remove pit but leave skin on, and place the halves face-up on a plate.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine crabmeat, mint, cilantro, onions, and the juice of half of the lime. Blend together with your hands.
- Add a dash of sea salt, pepper, and paprika to the crabmeat mixture.
- Use a spoon to scoop the crab mixture into the center of each avocado half.
- Finish by lightly drizzling the crab-filled avocados with the rest of the lime juice. Serve immediately or refrigerate and enjoy within 2 hours.
Antonio and I eat this delicacy with spoons, scooping the avocado and filling right out of the outer avocado skins. I usually serve it before a dinner of either baked salmon or tacos, since the lime, avocado, and cilantro infuse a bit of Mexican flavor.
Ladies, let me know if you make this recipe–especially if you like it! I’d love to hear your feedback. 🙂