It’s been a while since I’ve blogged here, mostly because the whirl of mom-life is like a vortex that sucks me in. Every day is so full of Zaza that everything else takes a backseat–and I wouldn’t have it any other way! Life as a parent is packed–not only with to-do lists and errands, but with golden memories that happen in a minute, but will last a lifetime.
With that in mind, here are 18 random moments of toddler magic that bring a smile to my face on a rainy day–literally or figuratively.
- Stroking her soft rosebud skin and silky ringlets as we snuggle and nurse.
- Waking up next to her every morning and asking her what she dreamed about.
- Indulging her curious mind by answering her many questions. (Her current favorite, “What is this?”)
- Her pure, sweet laughter as I push her higher and higher on the swing or spin her around in circles when we dance.
- The surprisingly tight grip of her little arms as she squeezes me in a loving hug.
- The feeling of her tiny hand in mine as we navigate life’s adventures together.
- Inhaling the earthy, mammal-y musk of her hair after a long day of playing outside.
- The way she closes her eyes and says, “That’s delightful,” when eating her favorite foods.
- Letting the sand exfoliate my feet the natural way as I chase her through the sandbox and climbing frames at the playground.
- Seeing her eyes glow with delight when she interacts with animals, whether at the zoo or with random dogs at the park.
- Joining her in a state of toddler zen when she basks in the sun and plays in the sand at the beach.
- Wondering what she’s dreaming about when she smiles or giggles in her sleep.
- The high, sweet tones of her voice as she hums and sings around the house.
- Her enthusiasm and eagerness to help with ordinary household chores like cooking, vacuuming, and dusting.
- The way that she makes even mundane things like going to the car wash into super fun and exciting events.
- The funny and random things she says sometimes, i.e. “I’m going to Central Africa,” and “Milk is my superfood,” and “I like to wake up next to you.”
- Getting lost in a good book with her—and listening to her “read” her books from memory when she doesn’t know I’m watching.
- And finally, my favorite: The soft touch of her little fingers as she strokes my face and says, “I love everything about you, Mum-mum.”
Parents out there, I hope these made you smile. What are some of your favorite magic moments with your little one? I’d love to hear them!